Confections with Convictions offers handmade truffles crafted in Kalamazoo exclusively from Organic and Fair Trade chocolate. Why do we choose Fair Trade?
Fair Trade Certification empowers farmers and farm workers to lift themselves out of poverty by investing in their farms and communities, protecting the environment, and developing the business skills necessary to compete in the global marketplace.
Fair Trade is much more than a fair price! Fair Trade principles include:
- Fair price: Democratically organized farmer groups receive a guaranteed minimum floor price and an additional premium for certified organic products. Farmer organizations are also eligible for pre-harvest credit.
- Fair labor conditions: Workers on Fair Trade farms enjoy freedom of association, safe working conditions, and living wages. The Ivory Coast, which produces almost 40% of the world’s supply of cacao, and 75% of that sold in the U.S. continues to face allegations of child slave labor. Fair Trade certification ensures that forced child labor is prohibited.
- Direct trade: With Fair Trade, importers purchase from Fair Trade producer groups as directly as possible, eliminating unnecessary middlemen and empowering farmers to develop the business capacity necessary to compete in the global marketplace.
- Democratic and transparent organizations: Fair Trade farmers and farm workers decide democratically how to invest Fair Trade revenues.
- Community development: Fair Trade farmers and farm workers invest Fair Trade premiums in social and business development projects like scholarship programs, quality improvement trainings, and organic certification.
- Environmental sustainability: Harmful agrochemicals and GMOs are strictly prohibited in favor of environmentally sustainable farming methods that protect farmers’ health and preserve valuable ecosystems for future generations.
Recyclable and compostable packaging
We know the environment is important to you; it’s important to us, too! That’s why we work with suppliers who make products from recycled materials that are compostable or recyclable.
- Our Bark bags are made from 40% recycled natural kraft paper (25% post-consumer) and are lined with EarthFirst, a compostable film made from Ingeo polymer which is made from annually renewable plants.
- Our Bite bags are made from clear, compostable cellophane.
- Most of our chocolate boxes are recyclable.